Wilton Lodge Park
Currently undergoing a £3.5 million National Lottery supported upgrade, Wilton Lodge Park is a veritable jewel in Hawick’s crown. Enjoyed by locals and visitors alike, the Park boasts tree-lined and riverside walks, walled gardens, a plethora of floral displays, statues of some of Hawick’s sporting greats, and a wide range of outdoor activities. The new bandstand has a programme of events throughout the summer months.
The Park is also home to Hawick Museum, which incorporates the Scott Gallery and displays and regular exhibitions ensure that there is always something for everyone.
Given that it extends to over 100 acres, there is plenty of room to roam, so come and see what Wilton Lodge Park has to offer.
Wilton Lodge Park Regeneration project
In December 2012 Heritage Lottery Fund approved a significant grant towards the delivery stage of the restoration of Wilton Lodge Park in Hawick. The entire project value is £3,647,320 which encompasses capital works, revenue for activities and delivery costs.
About the project
The project is a comprehensive plan and includes
- restoration of original park features within the designed landscape
- re-introduction of lost heritage elements
- working closely with Hawick museum and other heritage attractions in Hawick
- introduction of some new features
Five year restoration project
The five year restoration project includes key physical elements such as:
- recreation of the historic bandstand
- building of an exciting new café with link bridge across the River Teviot
- relocating and enhancing the existing children’s play area
- restoring the walled garden to be a centre for community horticulture and training
- refurbishing the historic gates
- enhancing the setting of Hawick Museum and creating an adjoining outdoor classroom
Events and activities
The project also includes funding to provide a programme of events and activities, volunteer training and engagement.
As part of the wider regeneration of Wilton Lodge Park, Hawick Museum has also created a ‘Park Gallery’ that will interpret the history of Wilton Lodge and the park, and explore the natural history of the park.
Friends of Wilton Lodge Park
The Friends of Wilton Lodge Park have been heavily involved with proposals and are pivotal in driving the development forward. http://www.fwlp.co.uk/